Monday, November 3, 2008

Paris - The beginning of the beginning.

Since junior year at Newport, after my french class had a week-long spring break exchange to Perpignan, I knew I wanted to study abroad in college. It was one of those must-do, only-in-college experiences I promised myself like joining a club/org I was passionate about (ATVN), having lunch with a professor, wandering around in the library perusing old dusty broken-spined books, or more trivial collegiate activities such as joining a sorority and going on a wild spring break (still yet to be done). Studying abroad was one of them, and I can finally cross that off my list.

I applied early this Fall, and only recently found out my acceptance into the USC Semester in Paris program, where I'll be taking classes at La Sorbonne, Institut Catholique, & Accent. I know a few kids going on the program with me, but for the most part, the other 27 or so will be new faces. I'm excited to branch out of the niche I've been so accustomed to the last two plus years. It'll be like a new start- another try at freshman year, a new group of friends (Trojans or others), a quasi-new family. I can't wait!

I write to document every aspect of this journey including the initial stages in the U.S, which brings me to an experience I had at the all-university study abroad orientation. Here's what I retained (sadly):

Solemn, middle-aged male study abroad advisor:

"Being in a foreign country is no license to be a slut."
"Pease be vigilant of attempts by others to get you drunk for entertainment value."

Hahahah.

No comments: